With the Covid-19 wreaking havoc on the society and people becoming paranoid with everything they touch, Contactless IR Thermometer is becoming a must-have in every household. With the traditional mercury-based thermometer require human contact, it has become the need of the hour to find a solution that maintains the social distancing norms while taking body temperature. IR Thermometers are becoming a frequent sight at many places including offices, bus stops, railway stations, airports, shopping malls, etc. They detect the body temperature of the individual without making any human contact.
Now, with the price of IR Thermometer been hiked citing the increasing demand, there is an important question you ask yourself: Why Should I Buy Contactless IR Thermometer in place of Oral Thermometer?
Depending upon your environment and area of application, it can be decided whether investing in an IR Thermometer is a wastage or useful. But before that, let’s read in more details about Contactless IR Thermometers and how they work.
What are IR Thermometers? How do they work?
IR Thermometer is a thermometer that detects temperature from a body via thermal radiation called black body radiation emitted by it. Some IR Thermometers also come with a laser to aim at a body, thus they are also known as Laser Thermometers. Other terms used for IR Thermometers are non-contact thermometer or temperature guns.
The IR Thermometers consists of a lens to focus the IR radiations emitted by a body on a detector. The detector then converts the heat energy to an electrical signal that can be displayed in the form of Celsius, Kelvin or Fahrenheit on the LCD display. These thermometers don’t require any human contact with individuals that’s why there are used in healthcare facilities to avoid cross-contamination.
Should I Buy IR Thermometer or Oral Thermometer?
Here are number of reasons that you should buy IR Thermometer in place of a regular mercury-based thermometer.
- IR Thermometers are very useful in the current Covid-19 scenario. Cross-contamination is one of the major reasons behind Coronavirus infections. However, regular fever screening in individuals entering a premise is also necessary. In such cases, IR Thermometers serve as a perfect solution to screen incoming crowd and prevent infection.
- If you’re looking for a thermometer for your home use, IR Thermometers can serve multiple purposes. You can use it on your family members to detect fever. In case you have a family member who is isolating due to Covid-19 infection, you can assess their body temperature regularly without making any contact.
- Also, IR Thermometers can be used to check the temperatures of food items and cooking vessels.
- Oral Thermometers pose hygiene challenges. They cannot be washed properly without damaging the machinery. They can be risky in case any individual in the family is suffering from an infectious disease.
- IR Thermometers can also be used around the house to check the insulation. They can detect if the air conditioning unit is functioning accurately or not.
Wit Infrared Technology becoming more accessible and sustainable, the prices of IR Thermometers are bound to come down. There’s no excuse why every home or office shouldn’t have a Contactless IR Thermometer in their tool box. They are fast, accurate and multi-purpose as opposed to Oral Thermometer.